“Deaf Can!” So Say The Rohana Special School Children!

27 Jun

During one lesson in the Deaf Studies class, I showed them a short video from California School for the Deaf’s Middle School PAH! Day celebration. The children were so inspired that they wanted to make a video themselves. I suggested the “Deaf Can!” theme and they ran with it. About half of the footage were filmed by the children themselves!

Watch the children of Rohana Special School proudly proclaim, “DEAF CAN!”

“Deaf Can!” So Says Rohana Special School! from Adam Stone on Vimeo.

17 Responses to ““Deaf Can!” So Say The Rohana Special School Children!”

1. Joey Baer 28. Jun, 2008 at 5:45 am #

Wow – watched it twice – I watched their faces carefully and it is clear that they are inspired by your (Adam) presence. We are fortunate to have you over to teach Deaf people in other country that Deaf Can! Thanks for sharing!!

2. David Rose 28. Jun, 2008 at 6:15 am #

Loved watching these kids. Thanks!

3. Kalusudda 28. Jun, 2008 at 8:39 am #

Very nice and inspiring! Yes “Deaf Can”. Hope ‘I can’ “talk” to them one day.

4. Carlos Jr 28. Jun, 2008 at 9:15 am #

Si su puede!

Awesome!

5. Jennifer 28. Jun, 2008 at 4:30 pm #

This is so so awesome!

6. jess 29. Jun, 2008 at 12:13 am #

rock on :D

7. Ginette 29. Jun, 2008 at 5:03 pm #

BIHIRI AYATA PULUWAN!

8. lizzie 30. Jun, 2008 at 10:13 am #

am still wow’d.

9. DE 02. Jul, 2008 at 7:53 am #

I had goosebumps and a wide grin all throughout watching this video. A stark contrast to AG Bell’s insistence that Deaf people will not be independent through Sign Language (was bombarded plenty with that meme last weekend, ok?)– to see Deaf kids happily and proudly declare that they CAN!

Thanks!

DE

10. Chriz 02. Jul, 2008 at 3:04 pm #

: ))) This really shows the immense power of a Deaf role model (you) and “peer to peer” impact by your showing the video of CSDF PAh! Day of other students…. *hands waving*

11. Lankanlycan 21. Jul, 2008 at 5:20 pm #

Respect mate. You’ve just taken part of something which 80% in this country wouldnt have bothered to. Thank’s for sharing your experience in Sri Lanka with us. And im glad you had a good time.

12. Deafchip 12. Feb, 2009 at 7:32 pm #

Great video clip… They make my day! I feel so good to see them express in sign language. I love that.

Thanks so much for sharing this with us….

Deafchip

13. Edward Nugent 12. Feb, 2009 at 8:48 pm #

Deaf Can!

14. MikeS 12. Feb, 2009 at 10:42 pm #

Big grin. International Deaf, true biz have style once accessed with language! Yes kids, sign language can rock! Thanks.

15. Paulette 13. Feb, 2009 at 5:58 am #

I love it when Deaf children from other countries sign in their own sign languages. Thanks for sharing cuz it made me a big smile today.

16. RLM 13. Feb, 2009 at 7:21 am #

Very resourceful of you to show the video from another country’s deaf community event to see what your deaf students can do in their own country.

Keep up your good work in Sri Lanka to make real waves and impact on deaf Sri Lanka educational system and community at large!

I could not possibly view the enclosed video due to some computer software program. I will check it later on another computer. Thanks for sharing your video enclosure with all of us, Deaf America and the rest of the Deaf communities.

ASLize yours,
    Robert L. Mason (RLM)

17. mohamed harid 09. Jul, 2011 at 2:32 am #

i am deaf i am study school to kaitady jaffna sign and tamil language.i love deaf children”s sign language very inee andinspiring yes “deaf can. hope i cam talk thanks for sharing.i am teacher srilanka sign language teachers traning i can help .from harid sms 0717892499 t.p 0112595209